The number of so-called social media experts is nauseating, so much so that a lot of them typically don’t realise that social media needs to deliver a business benefit. Or worse, when you ask these self proclaimed experts their thoughts on Pinterest or Vine, they usually have no idea how to reply.
It’s easy to call yourself an expert, but without something to show for yourself, you’ll be hard pressed convincing anybody to take you seriously.
The first step to establishing your authority on a subject is staying updated on all the latest industry news and putting what you’ve learnt into practise. There’s just no other way to position yourself as a credible source of information. And it’s how you separate between the posers and the doers.
Then logically, you’ll want to showcase your expertise in a way that’s helpful for your target audience. Usually in the form of a blog, podcast or ebook (or all three). That is, after all what content marketing is all about – delivering content that’s valuable!
So how do you start gathering all the information you need to stay updated on everything? Here’s short list of ways to get you started
6 Easy Ways To Follow Industry News
1. RSS Reader: Google Reader was the default choice, now that it’s retiring, Feedly is worthy substitute. Follow relevant blogs in your industry and keep those feeds organised with an RSS reader. If you’re into startups and technology, you might want to check out My Top 29 Favorite Tech and Startup Blogs
2. Google Alerts: Receive news updates delivered straight to your inbox. Get started my setting alerts for the following:
- Company name
- Names of executives
- Industry terms
3. Twitter Search: Sometimes breaking news hits Twitter first before its published on major online publications. Make sure to save searches for anything related to your industry and relevant hashtags.
4. LinkedIn Groups: This is where business professionals tend to hang out. Meaning that while you’ll be learning more about your industry, you can also expect to connect with other industry experts.
6. Use Zite or Flipboard: These two apps are available on Android and iOS. I mainly use Zite for content discovery, and it’s a great way of keeping up with what’s happening in the world. Simply search for interests related to your industry and save them to your Quicklists.
So there you have it, six effective ways to begin collecting data for your content creation.
For more information, check out my post over at Cuutio: How To Stay Updated On Everything In Your Industry
What about you? How do you keep up with all the industry development – and what tools do you use?
Image by Dimitry B